Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Journey to the MTC

Thursday, December 5, 2013 was Jasmine's last day at home.  We excused her sisters from school and all spent the day together.  We went out for Mexican food so we could all get a taste of the type of food she'd be eating during her mission. 
She was set-apart that evening by President Dudley as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. 
We left Friday morning to begin our journey to the Missionary Training Center and got as far as Idaho Falls the first day.
We got to Salt Lake City on Saturday and checked into our downtown hotel room.
The first thing we did was walk to the temple and do a session there.  It was amazing!  We enjoyed dinner in the temple cafeteria.  That evening we attended a musical play called "Savior of the World" in the Conference Center Theater.  It was so good!!!
On Sunday morning we attended Music and the Spoken Word with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir in the Conference Center.  It was spectacular and featured the King Singers and the incredible organist too.  We attended church in the Joseph Smith Memorial Building.  We spent the afternoon exploring the Church Museum - all sorts of amazing displays. 
In the evening we were able to attend the Christmas Devotional in the Conference Center.  There were wonderful speakers and the choir was beautiful as always.  We loved singing "Silent Night" with them.  And it's always such a special moment when the Prophet, President Monson, walks in.  The crowd hushes and rises to their feet, and you can just feel that he is the prophet!  So awesome!
On Monday we did some shopping and had lunch in one of the restaurants on the top floor of the Joseph Smith Memorial Building - that was one of Jasmine's wishes!  Then we went to the home of a family who have a son serving in the mission Jasmine will be going to.  When they heard we were bringing her down, they opened their home to us.  They were a marvellous family and we had a wonderful evening and morning with them.  Jas was able to learn of lot about what to expect in Mexico. 
After leaving them on Tuesday morning, we did a session in the Oquirrh Mountain Temple.  Then we made our way to Provo, got ourselves a hotel room, did some more Christmas shopping (at the BYU Bookstore) and found the MTC.
Finally Wednesday, December 11th arrived.  We were scheduled to drop her off at 1:00pm.  We had some special time that morning in our hotel room.  Jas received a Father's Blessing and we talked for a long time.  Finally it was time to go.  We had a little lunch at the Olive Garden - Jas and I weren't very hungry!  Then we headed to the MTC.  We parked at the Provo Temple until it was 1:00 and Jas said "Go now!" As we drove in they told us we had 2 1/2 minutes to get her unloaded and sent off.  I don't think we used up all our time.  Rich had her luggage out in seconds. 

We did our goodbye hugs. 
A sweet Sister met us and said she'd be taking care of Jasmine.  They split up her luggage . . .  
. . . and off Hermana Taylor went - up the sidewalk to the MTC.  She paused for a moment and turned back and waved.  And off she went to her 18 month adventure serving the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment