Saturday, January 18, 2014

{Week 6} MTC - January 18, 2014

Hola! Last week in the MTC!!! I leave in 2 days!!! AAAAHHHHHH!!!! I am so excited and so nervous at the same time, but I know that it will be great!!
 
The Hermana's in my district today at the Provo Temple.


Today we went to the temple for the last time in 17 months, and we got to see the new temple film! It was really good. I love them both! It was so nice to be in the temple, and it was kind of sad to know we won´t get to go to the temple for awhile. A Spanish session got out in the Provo temple just a few minutes after our session, so there were a lot of Latinos in the temple. I love them all so much!! I can´t wait to teach them for real.
 
I bought a calling card. I should be calling around 6 or 6:30 on Monday morning. So make sure you pick up! lol I'm almost done packing, and I did all my laundry. It's so exciting!!! I feel like we barely got to the MTC, but at the same time I feel like we've been here forever. I'm excited to talk to you all!!!
 
Tuesday devotional was Elder Bednar again!! We have two devotionals a week, and I always say that I have a gut feeling that it is going to be one of the twelve, and I'm always wrong so they make fun of me lol. But this time I was positive, and it was!! It was really funny. Elder Bednar told us that they had received over 1000 questions last time, so he and his wife just continued to answer them. Some of my favorites included when he discussed fear being the absence of faith and faith being a principle of action, when he told us about spiritual gifts and how we can only receive them if we're using them to bless others, and when he bore his testimony of the Book of Mormon. One of the questions was "will you please bare your testimony of the BOM?" and he said "I would love to" then proceeded to bare a really powerful testimony. It was wonderful. He also talked about how a lot of the questions asked about miracles, and he said that what we really need to do is pray to have the eyes to see and the ears to hear the miracles that are already all around us. It was a really great devotional. At one point, his wife called up some elders to ask them a question, and one of them was brand new so he still had the orange dot sticker on his nametag. After they sat down, Elder Bednar got up and said "Elder, that little sticker is called a dork dot. Lose it." It was so funny!! We laughed so hard. I love hearing the apostles!!
 
On Friday we had In-Field Orientation all day at main campus. It's for all the people who are leaving soon, and it was basically a bunch of workshops where we practiced skills like effectively using the members and street contacting. At the end the instructors (a whole bunch of RM's) put on a cheesy play about some Elders and how they meet with the Ward and use them to help teach. It was really funny, and we were so tired that we laughed at the silliest jokes. It was fun though!!! And I looked for Sister Coward, but couldn't find her. I think I scared one girl because I was trying to see her nametag to see if it was her, so I kept looking in her direction... Oh well lol.
 
Thanks for the packages!!! I love the shirts, and that orange shirt was pretty sneaky lol!! I was confused when the package said there were 3 shirts in it lol.
 
My companion and I wearing ugly shirts our mother's sent us. lol

(We call the orange shirt our plucked chicken shirt!  The girls in our family have a game with it - we just hide it in odd places in each others rooms and wait for it to be found.  I found it in my pillow sham just after Christmas so I sent it to Jasmine in a package with her two Spanish P-day shirts.  She made all the hermana's try it on.  It's so stretchy that it fits size newborn to XXXL, and even fits dogs!!!  I'm pretty sure it's in the package she's sending home!)
 
The Anderson's sent me that hot waterbottle. They also sent me a whole bunch of muffins and valentines treats!! And a copy of Elder Anderson's letter, which I later regaled my district with. We're all super excited!! And our teacher Hermana Bair told us she hopes we all get robbed at least once. lol.

I have loved the MTC. It has been an amazing experience (and right now it's pretty much my dream job to be a teacher here) but I am so excited to get to Mexico!! I'm excited to no longer be in a huge group all the time... we have a lot of fun and I love them all, but it can be really easy to get off topic. I've learned that at the MTC, you learn as much as you want to. Your teachers teach you a lot, and if all you learn is in class, you'll learn quite a bit. But there is so much more time that is available to you! It's been a bit frustrating these last few weeks as I've been trying to study as much as I can, and everyone else is too busy laughing and joking. I think it's important to remember that we're on the Lord's time, and we're here to do what he wants us to. It's been a test in patience for me... and when things are out of control I'll often say "dos pies!" (two feet) It's kind of our district motto - it means have two feet in the mission at all times. I love my district. They're just not used to sitting in a desk all day lol. But one study time I love is our personal study. We're really good about being quiet the whole time, and then after we go around the circle and all share one thing that we learned. And we've learned a lot!! You can see how much everyone's testimonies have grown from the last 6 weeks.
 
Thursday was our last class with Hermano Eaton. He's the teacher we've had the whole time we've been here, and he's great. At the end he bore his testimony to us in English, and then we asked him to say the closing prayer, and he did that in English as well. The scriptures say we should have the opportunity to learn the gospel in our own tongue, and that is something I really believe. We hear Spanish all day long from Hermano Eaton, so to hear him bare a simple and earnest testimony and then prayer in my native tongue was extremely powerful. I'm so excited to be able to help others to hear the gospel in their own language!!
Us with Hermano Eaton - he's the blond in the middle.
Our last class with Hermana Bair is in a couple hours. She is marvelous. I love her!! All our teachers have been great. If I were to pick a favorite it would be Hermano Hardy, but I've loved all 4 of them. And we have several traveling teachers that I love too. Hermano Christofferson, Hermano Lebron, Hermono Wright.... They're all great.
 
Us with Hermano Hardy (second from left).  It took us forever to track him down.
He teaches a district two floors above us now.  Love him!!!

Tomorrow is our last full day at the MTC!! Our zone sings a hymn and has a prayer every night at 9:20, just before we head home, and whenever a district is about to leave, we sing "Para siempre Dios este con Vos" (God be with you till we meet again. The chorus "till we meet ("till we me-ee-et, till we me-ee-t") is "hasta ver" ("hasta ve-ee-er, hasta vee-eer") which actually means "until to see", but it makes sense. We sing the fist verse normal, the second louder, and by the third verse we're practically screaming!! Then on the 4th verse, we sing it super reverent, and the Spirit is always so strong. Then we pray. Then they usually sing the American Anthem, which is also really nice. I kind of smile and hum along because I don't know it lol. And there's no way I'm singing "O Canada" by myself!
 
Anyway, I love it here, and I can't wait to leave. My next email will come from Mexico!!! I look forward to it. I love you all and I loved all your letters.
Be good, say your prayers, and I'll see you in awhile!!
 
-Hermana Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment