Monday, April 13, 2015

{Week 70} Polanco - April 13, 2015

Hello my dear family!

Dad, I forgot to mention it last week, but I did love your poem.
Thanks Jordy, Carlee and Jenna for the letters! I love hearing from you all.

So this week, my duties as a Sister Training Leader included one set of divisions and two training meetings. On Tuesday morning we went to the interviews with the president, and while one by one the people passed for interviews, the assistants and us did some training stuff. And then Tuesday night, we did divisions. Hna Martinez (she's new, about three weeks in the mission) went with Hna Ingram, and I went with Hna Santos in her area! Hna Santos goes home in June with us. So divisions was fun! I enjoyed that a ton. And then on Friday we went to a meeting for the district leaders and we got to teach a part there too. I'm enjoying it - but the part that I don't like is that we're away from our area a lot. It's less time in the street knocking on doors, but it's good!

And Hna Ingram! She's great - she's my first American comp, but we almost always speak Spanish. And when we do speak English she laughs at me because I stink at English lol. We're working hard - the first week was a bit rough (it always is, getting used to a new comp and all that) and then Saturday night we were cutting out movie tickets (we're going to have a ward movie night and watch The Other Side of Heaven) and we just started talking. We had a really great chat, and got to know each other better, and now we're feeling really united! Sunday we had a great lesson with a new investigator named Carlos. The spirit was strong and things were just flowing - it went really well.
Hna Ingram and I

And we're teaching Jorge again! This 17 year old kid has been the most challenging investigator - but it's like things have changed this time. He's stopped smoking, and he's a lot humbler now. Before it was kind of like a game to him - but we think that he actually wants it now. He's got a date for May 3rd - we're hoping and praying that this time everything will work out.

And we had a baptism on Sunday! Edith is 16, and she and her mom showed up by themselves at church one day - they have a friend that's an RM, and he was always talking about the church, so one day they went! Her mom, also named Edith, is also planning to get baptized one day - she just has to marry her common law spouse first, but he's in the army so is never around. They've both agreed to get married, so now we're just waiting till he gets back so they can do it and then she can get baptized. The baptism was really sweet - Hna Luque and Hna Ramirez came, because it was Hna Luque and Hna Ingram that taught this family. So that was really nice to see those two and give them a hug.
The baptism! Hna Ingram, Sergio's wife, Sergio (the RM friend), Edith, Edith the mom, Edith's little sister, Edith's aunt, me!

 The really blue baptism water. We dye it, because if we don't it's a greenish brown.
And the Bishop's brother died. Hyrum was young, about 26 years old, but had some special needs. But he was super smart and kept things organized at church. They always knew that he would die young. It was sad - the first time I saw everyone in the ward again was at his funeral. But I'm glad I could be there. I'm pretty close to several members of the family, and I was happy I could be there to hug them and comfort them. The Bishop has been really sad - I think it hit him pretty hard.  I really do love him and his family. They try hard. And I'm glad I can be here with them in this time.

And we had interviews with the President! That was great. I love talking to him - I can feel the spirit with everything he says, and I'm so glad he's my Mission President.

And remember Isabel? my best friend here in P--? She's my age, and tomorrow she leaves on her mission! She's going to Queretaro, Mexico. I'm super happy for her, but I'm going to miss her tons. She and I got along great. We are really good friends and she always came with us for our appointments (she's the YW's Pres).

And today some members in our ward took us to centro (downtown) to buy some stuff. I was looking for a Mexican Dress, but didn't find a cheap one that I liked. Hna Ingram and I bought some dishes though! And then we went and ate by the old Cathedral, Xocalo. We ate on the roof top of one of the buildings. I loved it!
Xocalo

Chilakiles - really yummy!

Food in a Molcajete - super delicious!
I was thinking about it a lot today, and I seriously love this place. I love the culture, the food, the people, the language... This country is amazing, and I would love to come back someday and bring you guys with me. It's amazing here. I feel so blessed that I have the the privilege to share the gospel here in this amazing country with these amazing people. It makes me so sad that I have to leave here soon. Mom, don't feel too bad about crying over an airplane - there are TONS of airplanes here, and every time I see them I get a knot in my throat. I can't believe that I've been here 16 months. It's gone by so fast. I'm excited to see you all again, but I'm thinking maybe I'll just give you all a hug in the airport and then get back on the plane and head back to Mexico lol. It is a privilege and a blessing to be serving the people of Mexico. They are amazing and I love them.

I hope you all have a great week. I love you all tons. Be good, say your prayers, and love everybody.

Con amor,
Hermana Taylor

My Mexican dishes!

No comments:

Post a Comment